Friday 6 May 2011

A week in the life of...

Copy of article entitled a week in the Life of... Rebecca James in the March 2011 issue of Indesign Magazine

Tuesday

The week is starting off on a good note having just got confirmation on an English Grade 1 listed country home project which means I can source while I’m away in Paris. I’m not quite sure yet, but I think I want to design a Dior inspired ladylike modern home for my clients. I can’t wait to indulge myself in the Paris lifestyle for the next few days.
I hate packing and this trip is made even more difficult because I need to take at least 10 outfits with me. My cat Treacle is sensing that I’m travelling and promptly jumps into my suitcase hoping that I take her with me. Not this time honey...



Wednesday

Off too Paris for Maison et Objet 2011. I catch the Eurostar train at 9:30am and arrive in Paris just over two hours later. I make a quick dash to Hotel Sezz which is a hip boutique hotel I found on the internet and I’m already inspired. I get some lunch in Trocadero taking in the views of the Eiffel tower as I walk from my hotel. Later that evening I attend a loft party hosted by Pierre Frey. Unfortunately the person who invited me arrived two hours late, so he definitely owed me dinner.

Thursday

Day starts off with breakfast in Trocadero with my business associate which turned out to be very interesting. The waiter must have hated me as I asked for my Espresso to be remade three times because it was the size of the house. My colleague joined me from London mid day and we met with some business associates at Cafe de Flore before attending a cocktail party in St Germain. I have to say the party venue was quite beautifully decorated with a traditional Parisian edge. We leave the party and attend some of the parties being hosted by the show rooms in the area.

Friday

Show day! Off to Maison et Objet which turns out to be absolutely humongous. We slowly walked the show and some of the highlights for me were Elitis, Wild Heritage, Szalay, Remy Garnier and Schiffini. The day was extremely long and it took a long time to get out of the venue due to the bottleneck at the train station. I just about made it to dinner at Maison Blanche which was a lovely experience. The night was capped off by going to see the Crazy horse show around the corner from the restaurant. I’m really getting into the Paris way of life now.



Saturday

My day for wandering the streets of Paris to take in the architecture and design that defines the city. I start off with my biggest inspiration which is fashion. Dior, Hermes and the L’Eclaireur boutique made the biggest impressions on me. Saw some wonderful kitchens on Saint Germain that were on the organic glam vibe. I walked Saint Germain all the way back to Saint Michel and had a delicious crepe en route. I ended the night in a cafe sipping on an oversized cocktail and sketching designs for an imaginary client named Madam Macaroon on a napkin. As I sketched her in her Dior dress, I decided she needed a glamorous home with a beautiful en-suite. My colleague is intrigued by this lady. Thiswas definitely my favourite day of the week.



Sunday

I started my day early by visiting a potential client in her office to discuss designing her new apartment in Paris. My client is very enthusiastic about my work and can’t wait to show me her place which is across the road from her office. We agree to set a viewing for the following day and I set off for some more walking about. I visit the Sacre Coeur and the Louvre to get some artistic inspiration before topping it off with lunch at the top of the Pompidou Centre. The evening is a glamorous affair as I have dinner at the beautiful Cristal Baccarat restaurant. The design of the restaurant was breathtaking and Philippe Starck outdid himself by mixing elements of the original interior with playful touches such as the light pink furniture and LED lights in the red carpet.



Monday

It’s my final day in Paris and I stop by my client’s apartment to get my first view of the place. The apartment is to die for with high ceilings and big windows everywhere. Unfortunately the layout is very odd as all the rooms interconnected and this leads to a lack of privacy for the family. I give my clients some tips on how the apartment should be reconfigured to suit their needs. All in all I hope to create a fantastic space for them like my recently completed London townhouse for a middle eastern client. The Paris trip was inspirational and eventful and I look forward to spending more time in this wonderful city. I’m running late for my train and only just get to the station on time as I head back to my home city of London.


Hope you enjoyed! The original link to the article can be found here

No comments:

Post a Comment