Thursday 11 November 2010

A question often asked...inside my head


What made me think of that and how did you come up with that idea? I’m sure all people who create are often asked this question.

So I have decided to spill the beans from my crazy mind. I’m not saying this is how all designers work but these are my thoughts.  
Firstly I spend a great deal of time with the people I’m designing for, watch how they live, what they wear, see what designs they like and generally have fun getting to know them. It’s not always the case that you have this time with your clients, but use whatever time you have wisely. Clients might not always know what they like but they always know what they don’t like.

Next I plonk myself in the space and visualize how the area would work better.  I don’t measure at this point; rather I imagine the family or the person living in the space. I build a vision in my mind of how the walls and the light react in a different way and then sketch my visions. I can get very cold and arthritis sets in because I don’t realise how long I have been sitting on the floor of the empty space. The fact remains; this is my favourite part of designing.


  
Mood boards:  these are my life line and how I bring the vision and the feeling together. Every magazine, book, flyer and brochure is scoured for images that relate to the colour and feeling of what the space is to become. Fashion plays a big part in this, and wording and imagery is used in a form of a collage to portray the image in non obvious way. On a big project my office becomes a complete mess with cuttings and colour all over the place but in that madness is the beauty developing, one hopes. Maybe I'll do a little video one day.



Next flat plans, measurement and elevations: My sketches are tested by the laws of mathematics; does it work?  If it doesn’t work in the space none of the fluffy stuff means anything. I always try to imagine my pitch to someone who has no vision, so sketches and 3d drawings are more important than flat plans and elevations. The general public likes to see the end product and not the process of getting there.



Finally the creation is done, now you need the best craftsmen,builders and a design manager to make it come to life. The designs that work the best are always the first vision, so the key is to not change your mind, always be decisive and dare to be different. 

Hope you enjoyed my creative process.


2 comments:

  1. was great to see the process

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to see how you start the process. Putting pen to paper for the first time is always the hardest part.

    Your Rubix cube inspired wardrobe is inspirational.

    ReplyDelete